By laying out artificial grass, you will add a glowing atmosphere that will bring your garden to life. However, many Melbourne homeowners struggle when it comes to laying out their synthetic grass in their homes. So, in a bid to make it easier for you, we have a step-by-step guide to show you how to do it.
This guide will show you:
- What you need for the turf installation process
- How to measure and cut out your artificial grass
- How to lay out the synthetic grass on different turfs
- How to roll out your turf
- How to secure the artificial turf together
Join us as we work together on your DIY artificial grass installation project. If you have any questions or prefer to leave this task to professionals, you can get in touch with our installations team. Now, let’s get right into your turf laying checklist!
What You Need For Your Artificial Grass Installation
Before you start the installation process, make sure that you have the following tools and equipment ready:
Artificial Turf Products
- Broom or rake
- Utility knife
- Tape measure
- Protective gloves
Step One: Measure The Space
Before anything else, you have to assess how much artificial turf you need for your garden or yard. Measure the size of the area and always include a little bit extra in case of emergency. Once you have your dimensions, speak to the experts at Premier Grass about the type of artificial turf you want. They will have it delivered to your property when requested.
Step Two: How To Lay Artificial Fake Grass On A Solid Foundation
Before you start rolling out your artificial grass in Sydney, you are going to need to establish a levelled foundation first. This approach will vary depending on the type of foundation you plan to roll out your grass on. When it comes to price, our installation cost might vary depending on your base.
Below, we have broken down how to lay out your artificial turf on the most common bases, in three or less easy steps.
How To Lay Fake Grass On Dirt
1. In the cases of dirt, you are going to have to dig out all the existing turf, roughly about two and a half inches deep.
2. From here, place a layer of plastic membrane to stop weeds from finding their way through, before outlying crushed stone over it.
3. Finally, layer out planks of wood for that even surface.
How To Lay Synthetic Grass On Soil
1. Similar to the dirt example above, you have to create an even layer to install synthetic grass over the soil. Dig up the soil and apply a thick layer of crushed stone, before installing the plastic membrane – this will stop weeds from poking through your new turf.
2. Then, finish off by laying out planks of wood over the top, before rolling out your synthetic grass.
How To Install Artificial Turf On Concrete
1. When it comes to concrete floors, you need to make sure:
- There is drainage nearby so that water can be filtered through, and
- You need to make sure the concrete is even.
2. Now, look towards levelling out your concrete or installing a drain before anything else.
3. When completed, add 5mm of foam underlay (making it softer under your floor), before rolling out the synthetic grass over it.
How To Install Synthetic Grass Over Pavers
Although concrete and pavers are considered to be different, the same approach of laying turf works for both surfaces. Follow the above steps under “How To Install Artificial Turf On Concrete” when it comes to pavers, and you will end up with the same pleasant results.
How To Lay Artificial Grass On Sand
1. Remove and scoop out all the existing sand from the area. This will provide you with a new space in which you can outlay your grass.
2. You can now apply a layer of crushed stone over it, and follow the same steps used to apply both dirt and soil foundations. See above: “How To Lay Fake Grass On Dirt”.
Step Three: How To Install Artificial Lawn (Or Roll Out)
Slowly lay out your artificial turf over the newly formed foundation. Collect and hammer down your pegs into the ground evenly along the edge and leaving around 300mm – 400mm of space in between.
If you have concrete floors, use super concrete based glue, instead of turf pegs.
Don’t nail down the pegs all the way, or glue too close to the edges, as you will need space for the adhesive joining tape (more on that below).
Slowly roll the next layer of synthetic turf next to it, and nail it down again. Don’t leave any spaces between the turfs, and ensure that the grass fibres all point in the same direction so that it maintains a smooth flow. Your artificial lawn will now be a secured feature of your yard.
Step Four: Secure It Together
Lift up the edges of the synthetic turf and roll out the adhesive joining tape, with the sticky side facing upwards. Make sure the tape is spread evenly along all the edges between the slabs of artificial grass.
When you’re happy with this, lift the adhesive off the tape and tightly press down the first slab of synthetic grass over it. Follow the same steps with the next piece of grass until all turfs are connected tightly.
Step Five: Apply Sand To Give A Realistic Look
If you like the fake grass look, then you can stop at this step. However, if you want to give your artificial grass that realistic look and feel, bring out your white sand for this step. You will need roughly 10 to 15 kgs of sand for every square metre, as it will give you good coverage.
Pour the sand over the turf and use your broom (or rake) to spread the sand and embed it into the lawn evenly. You can now slightly water it to get rid of that fake grass feeling and make your synthetic turf look more realistic.
Struggling With Your Synthetic Grass Installation? Premier Grass Can Help You With Our Unique Service! Reach Out To Our Team Today!
Take It From The Experts
Having the perfect turf installation sometimes requires that experienced touch. This is what Premier Grass can provide you: a comprehensive service where we send one of our professionals to install the artificial grass, leaving you with the perfect lawn.
Our service is available throughout Australia and our installation cost is affordable. For more information on our range of artificial turf in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or elsewhere, our synthetic grass or our grass installation call us today on 1300 705 806.
You are also welcome to visit our showrooms. If you’re in:
Sydney – New South Wales 465 Victoria St, Wetherill Park, NSW.
Melbourne – 2/640-680 Geelong Rd, Brooklyn 3012, VIC.
Brisbane- Unit 10/1 Stockwell Pl, Archerfield, QLD.